In recent years, medical assistants have become more and more valuable in the doctor’s office setting and the allied health field overall. This has resulted from the nationwide nursing shortage that has been present for several years. If you are a person who has no experience or just needs a refresher and national certificate, this session will meet your needs. We will lead you through the latest techniques and equipment in a hands-on instruction session that will spotlight universal precautions, infection control procedures, EKG, injections, vital signs, charting, and potential complications associated with patient care. During the session, procedures for performing tasks in the medical office will be explained and demonstrated in order to prepare you for the national exam. National is not accepted in Washington state at this time. All other states will accept the Medca certification.
Starting in January 2015 the session will be expanded to include National testing on site. This will increase the cost to $3000.00 and payment plans will be altered accordingly. Call for more information as it comes available.
- Proper patient confidentiality/HIPAA
- Assessing the sick patient
- Equipment selection and use
- Functioning as a liaison between patient and doctor
- Good patient flow
- Completion of requisitions and specimen labeling
- Follow up patient care
- Universal precautions and infection control
- Quality assurance
- Demonstration of equipment
- Practical application
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Lab personnel
- Nurses aides
- Home Health Nurses
- Anyone that has no experience, or needs a refresher
Medical assistant-2 yrs experience required to test if you do not attend our session.
If you are an MA already working for two years or more you may do the national test without the prep session at the cost of $400. Experience must be verified by current or former employer submitting testee’s experience on company letterhead. (This will be verified before testing.) If exam is failed examinee will have to re-register and pay fees again accordingly
If passed the examinee will be nationally certified by MedCA or NHA national certifying agencys. This certification is good for one year or two with renewal required.
Exams will be graded by MedCA or NHA and certificates will be mailed to address submitted.
No refunds will be granted if test is failed or no showed.
Joyce Roberts, LPN is the instructor and is a Licensed Practical Nurse with several years of experience in nursing as well as teaching. She is a certified OSHA instructor and she has proven ability in pediatrics and family practice offices. Ms. Roberts has widespread training in clinical and medical testing procedures and has been a medical assistant instructor with Not Furlong Temps Inc. since the program began in 2002 Her presentation style is professional and comprehensive to the needs of the medical assistant professional.
- Vital signs
- Injections (IM, subcutaneous)
- Charting and documentation
- Weights and measurements
- Peak flow and nebulizer treatment
- Infection control procedures
- Equipment demonstration
- OB/GYN assisting
- Finger stick
- Audiometer testing
- Urine testing
- Ear irrigation
- Call-in prescriptions
- Quality assurance
- Hands-on assurance
- REVIEW AND FINAL TEST with national prep
- The evening session is from 6:30pm – 9:30pm
- Daytime is 10-1pm
- Monday – Thursday for 5 weeks
- Canceled sessions due to inclement weather, holidays or unforeseen circumstances will be made up on alternate days TBA if needed.
COURSE MATERIALS AND ATTIRE
- Instructions for obtaining textbook will be given upon registration.
- National test must be done within 2 test dates of graduation or forfeiture of fee paid is applied.
- You must be paid in full before being allowed to test national
- Students should bring materials for taking notes. Click to see complete SUPPLY LIST FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT CLASS
- Required attire
- Tennis shoes
- Watch with second hand
- Clean hair, pulled back
- Minimal jewelry
- No perfumes